Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Topic 2


Activity
I choose to answer #1:  What lessons can we learn from the historical antecedents of K-12 online and blended learning?
  I believe it is important to remember where we came from. Distance learning has come a long way. I think that the historical antecedents go to show that distance education changes very quickly. What is the norm now will not be the norm in 5 years. As new technology is created, new distance education will also be created. I believe this shows us that it is very important to always be ready for the “next thing.” You can’t get too comfortable with the way things are now, because technology is ever changing.  I believe that distance education will keep changing as long as new technology is being invented. I think that is part of the charm of distance education, it is not the same thing year after year after year.

Summary
I found it interesting that distance education was around even before the internet. I had no idea that some people listened to the radio for school. It appears that even before the internet was a possibility distance education was around. Therefore, I do not see distance education going away any time soon. I think that is important for people to understand. Some people who are not in favor of distance education might have to change their way of thinking, but it is here for good. 

1 comment:

  1. I was also surprised with the history of distance education, Emily - I wasn't expecting that it existed that long ago before the internet! I think that the purpose of distance education with the form of online learning is slowly shifting from increasing access to education, to providing opportunities for students to develop new skills, such as collaboration, communication and independent learning skills. We live in an interesting time, witnessing big changes in education ;-)

    ReplyDelete